Criminal Defense Attorney For Gun Crimes In Indianapolis
Have you been accused of a crime involving a gun in Indianapolis? Emotions can run high with these charges as they are very serious and often carry heavy penalties. Guns are stigmatized in our society today and often have a negative reaction from people. At Patel Defense, we understand the damage that these charges can do to your reputation and will fight to honor your Second Amendment right to bear arms. When you hire an experienced gun crimes attorney, you have the best chance of protecting your freedom and reputation.
Don’t Hesitate With Your Freedom
If you have been charged with a gun crime in Indianapolis, do not hesitate to contact Patel Defense for a free case evaluation. 317-643-5459
What Constitutes A Gun Charge In Indiana?
In Indiana, a weapons or firearm offense is very serious and can lead to harsh punishments. There are several charges that are associated with gun crimes such as:
- Possession of illegal firearms
- Intimidation with a firearm
- Armed robbery
- Illegally pointing a firearm
- Possession of a firearm without a license
- Illegal discharge of a weapon
- Unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon
- Criminal recklessness
- Prohibited sales or transfers of a firearm
- Possession of a firearm on school grounds
- Removing or altering the identification number on a firearm
- Possession of a handgun by a person who is convicted of domestic violence
When you are charged with a firearm offense in Indiana, it can become a federal weapons charge depending on your circumstances. If you are committing a crime while in possession of a handgun, then your penalties can be much more severe. At Patel Defense, we have the necessary knowledge of Indiana and federal laws that pertain to weapons offenses.
A permit is not required to purchase a firearm such as a rifle, shotgun, or handgun; however, a permit is required to carry a handgun, openly and concealed. Even if you are carrying a handgun legally, there are laws that govern the possession, use, and operation of the gun. It is best to hire an experienced attorney who has the knowledge to defend your rights and protect your innocence.
Defending Against Gun Crimes
Although it may seem that there is no way to defend these charges, there are several effective defense strategies that can be used to preserve your freedom. An experienced defense attorney can craft a unique defense plan that is specific to your case. Firearms and weapons charges encompass a wide array of charges, so hiring a defense attorney who is well-versed in both state and federal law should be a priority. If you are charged with a gun crime, some of the methods that an experienced defense attorney can use are:
- Lack of knowledge of the gun
- You were lawfully carrying a gun and not committing a crime
- 2nd Amendment Rights violation
- Mistaken identity
- You were under duress and afraid that you or a family member were in danger